After a lot of brainstorming and changing my mind about five times, I have concluded that my CAS project will be a compost initiative at IST. I have chosen this as a CAS project for several reasons
- It provides an outlet for both creativity and service as per the CAS curriculum
- It has the potential to be sustained for many years to follow at IST
- It is an incredibly simple yet effective opportunity for change
- It is a cause dear to me!
My proposal can be found in this link however is yet to be completely finished. Before I submit it to Ms. Milne, I plan on meeting with Mr. Patrick next week to finalize a plan for the actual bins. While I am not very savvy when it comes to construction and design, I have noted the following as being important notes to consider:
- How many could we realistically make to place around school?
- How will we compost animal products – or will we even venture into that? (pests are a problem)
- What are our materials available?
- How long should this take?
After this meeting, I plan on discussing the matter with Mr. Smith and probably an IST service group relating to the environment for extra support. After all of these discussions, I will be ready to construct the bins and place them around school.